internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] [Fwd: Inappropriate e-mail you may have received about Silent Sam]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] [Fwd: Inappropriate e-mail you may have received about Silent Sam]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:00:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Scott Russell wrote:

> If the CDROM displays several emails addresses at a time for viewing,
> printing off screen shots and then scanning them back in as described above
> is the way to go. Or, worse off, you might be able to feed the screen shots
> directly to the OCR package, no scanning required. :)
>
> These same techniques were used to by pass all safe guards on some Microsoft
> eBook software and convert the displayed content to plain text files, or so
> I've read.

I routinely print to files -- PDF with Acrobat when available, or PS with
a Microsoft-supplied printer driver (an Apple Laserwriter [12|16] set to
the "file" port). There's a handy ghostscript tool called "ps2pdf" that I
can use to make the "printout" portable. Ghostscript also provides the
"pdf2ps" and "ps2ascii" tools, but I haven't investigated its usefulness
for this sort of thing.

Googling for "pdf2txt" seems to bring out a bunch of commercial
packages/tools but no OSS stuff.

--Sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)