internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] web authoring & help tools

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda AT lindawatson.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] web authoring & help tools
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:41:19 -0400

At 01:57 PM 4/23/2003 -0400, Drew Johnson wrote:
Hey Beth,

I personally love dreamweaver, and in fact, most Macromedia products (including flash-which may or may not get me flamed- flash controversy seems to have mostly settled).

Keep in mind that there are in general 2 kinds of web folks (designers and coders). Well, most folks are really a mixture of the two, but if you are going to oversimplify... Dreamweaver has historically been aimed at designers, which means many of it's features have historically turned hard core coders off.

This is changing, I think, as DW comes with features designed to make coders happy (syntax coloring, checking, auto-completion, integrated recognition of language structures of various server side languages, including PHP, CF, ASP, etc...). There are also many features which make DW a good program for collaboration between coders and designers (file check in, check out, code view vs. design view, etc).

I've grown to love DreamWeaver. Drew is right about the design/coding split. For those of us with split personalities, DreamWeaver is best in the coding & design setting. I like working back and forth between the two views, depending on what I need to do. But I always want to check the DW code -- it can get ornate with a page that's been heavily edited.

I used to use HotDog Pro, but quit when they took out the multi-file search and replace functions. I'm now using the templates in DW.

Good luck! ... Linda