internetworkers - [internetworkers] Fake Iraqi Documents Were Submitted to the UN

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Fake Iraqi Documents Were Submitted to the UN
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:44:35 -0500

On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 05:14 PM, Joey Carr wrote:

These images of the dead are the single most damaging thing to the
continuation of this war that the Iraqi state is capable of. Pictures of
the American dead will serve to scare and demoralize the American
population, no matter if you see it as Iraqi propaganda or as brutal facts
of reality (they're dead people who died very violently, unless you're
used to it it is going to freak you out, it certainly did me).

Given what we believe we know about the regime, the fact that they would take a group of captured prisoners, shoot a couple in the head, and beat the torture the rest shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Now what does make me scared is that the Bush Administration feels the need to use fake documents to win UN support:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2080238/
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-iraq-nuclear-un.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A17888- 2003Mar12?language=printer
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-03-14-iraq-forged- docs_x.htm

"A few hours and a simple internet search was all it took for U.N. inspectors to realize documents backing U.S. and British claims that Iraq had revived its nuclear program were crude fakes, a U.N. official said."

What also scares me is both the CIA Director and ex-President George Bush Sr. both believe the threat from Iraq is a lot less of a threat than any number of others. The current action that will cost hundreds of billions of dollars and kill unknown numbers of people seems so out of sync with the relative threat that there has to be some other explanation.

http://www.latimes.com/la-na-cia11oct11,0,2360915.story

"Evidence of the differences between the agency and the White House surfaced publicly this week when CIA Director George J. Tenet sent a letter to lawmakers saying the Iraqi president is unlikely to strike the United States unless provoked."

When you have a situation where the CIA Director, who presumably has access to the same information as the White House, believes there is no danger of being attacked by Iraq, something is seriously wrong. Its not that Iraq isn't a threat, but the job of securing the country involves assessing the relative threats and assigning resources accordingly. For example, Earth COULD be obliterated by a giant asteroid, but the chances are so low its not worth spending billions on a giant space laser to protect the world.

No place better demonstrates the worst aspects of both the American
character and public policy than the nation's highways.
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC