internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] disturbing photos from Al Jazeera

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] disturbing photos from Al Jazeera
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:13:47 -0500

I apologize if anyone doesn't want the detail I'm about to give. Don't read
further if you don't want to know.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The video showed approx 5 dead bodies lying on a floor of what the media
called a morgue, but looked like any normal room with a concreate or tile
floor. It was evident in several of the close ups that 3 of them had been
shot in the forehead at close range - perhaps an execution. The wounds were
almost dead center of the forehead.

The footage of the prisoners showed them being forced to answer questions.
And by forced, I mean that several of them were proded physically. I'm
careful not to say hit, but it was obvious they weren't in a normal state of
consciousness...The prisoners were in various degrees of coherency and
appeared almost to be in shock or drugged. They were slow to respond and in
many cases responded with slightly inappropriate answers or incomplete
answers. The female prisoner appeared to be in shock and a state of terror.
Several of the prisoners had wounds and some were bandaged.

I personally agree that images of war should not be withheld from public
scrutiny. I think it's important that the images and facts of war be
available as freedom of information is a cornerstone of democracy. As far
as our media, I think it is appropriate that the media withhold certain
information such as the names and images of those killed or being held until
the military can notify the families. Other than that, I think it needs to
be available. However, I do think the interpretation of the Geneva
Convention being put forth by the US is correct.

And I will concede that this is an interpretation of a convention written in
the 40's. And although you are correct that methods of distributing the
images existed at the time, such as photography and cinematography, there is
no real comparison to today's media capabilities. Today the images can be
distributed in an instant around the world. In the 40's it would have taken
days, if not weeks to have images available to the masses. The impact and
effectiveness of using images is now greatly magnified because of 24 hour
instant coverage. So by displaying the video and still images through
instant 24 hour world media, it is in effect marching them through every
town all at once.

I also think the real issue is the intent of the action. In your example of
marching POWs through a town, the intent is, as you said, to allow for
riducule, harassment, etc. However there is another intent inherent in what
you mentioned and that is the reason why you would subject POWs to a
situation such as marching them through towns,etc. That reason is to use
the POWs as a propaganda tool. Certainly, you can ridicule, harass,
interrogate, beat, or even kill a POW in private. And that too is against
the convention. But why do it in public? The reason is for propaganda
value. To dishearten the enemy, to bolster your forces, to show your
citizens what happens to those that oppose you, etc. And that is exactly
what the images of the POWs in Iraq are being used for. So again, I say the
interpretation is correct.

Another difference is that the images were recorded and provided by Iraqi TV
which is state controlled media. Therefore, it was really the state of Iraq
who presented the images for the purpose mentioned before - propaganda. The
comparison to images on US media outlets taken by journalists is not
appropriate as the US Government does not own or control the media outlets.
Media outlets in the US have free choice over whether to display images or
not and I should point out the freedom to attempt to get images that the
government might not wish to have released or that it would consider
inappropriate to display. So in the case of images of POWs on US media, the
government did not provide the images or footage. The media obtained them
and elected to broadcast them. And I do think that is a subtle and
sometimes not so subtle difference.

As far as this issue being raised before, it was raised in the previous Gulf
War and has been raised by human rights groups - even in regards to those
being held in Quantanimo Bay Cuba at this time. So it is being debated and
raised. And in typical fashion, our government argues for this
interpretation in regards to Iraq and in regards to those being held in Cuba
argues that it doesn't apply to "un-lawful combatants". So we like to have
things our way, no matter what...

And again I agree that the media should be careful in how it respects or
'kow-tows' to the wishes of our government. But of course, they are free to
do it or not. And that is the critical thing. And I do think that
sanitizing a war can be very detrimental. It is a difficult balance that
needs to be struck.

I think that at some point showing images only serves ratings and the morbid
curiousity of viewers. Does it really make a difference if we show 10 dead
people or report about the 10 dead people and give their names and
information about them? And does the same decision apply if it's 100, or
200, or 500. At some points in the Vietnam war we lost upwards of 100
troops a day. If we have the pictures of them, do we need to show all 100?
I don't have the answer to this - I, too, want to know what is going on and
not be shielded from the truth. I think that's critical to our democracy
and making informed decisions. But is it important that I see it? Or that
I see all of it? I don't know.

So that's my take on the issue. Thanks for the thought provoking post.