internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Lookin For Office Space in Chapel Hill or Carrboro

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Lookin For Office Space in Chapel Hill or Carrboro
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:20:00 -0500

Steve, you won't have to dig any fresh ditches for Internet service into the space at 110 East Main Street that David describes. That's catalogue.com's old space, some pretty fat pipes ran into there at one point. The upstairs offices are a bit seedy but cheap and you can't beat the location.

Another space to consider is 118 East Main. That's where my old digs were, as well as a number of Internet businesses. Also grade-B office space, but cheap. I know one major tenant there just moved out, leaving some very nice rooms behind. Email me privately for the landlord's name.

TaB

David R. Matusiak wrote:
Steve --

some preliminary investigation shows that quite a few spaces are open on Franklin Street in CH, but i imagine they have extremely high rents (as i would guess that is part of why the previous tenant went out of business). quite a few of those are 8,000-10,000 square foot spaces, as well. and from what little i hear, the landlords are not budging from their expensive asking prices altho they remain empty.

however, there is one place for rent in Carrboro on Main Street directly above the Orange County Social Club and the barber shop. one side is occupied by TIPS Publishing (which was kind enough to donate tech books for giveaways to INW recently) and the other side is available. i think the space might appear to be "hole in the wall," but i don't know about dingy. since TIPS is next door, i imagine they have /some/ access to the internet. maybe TaB can comment about the shape and condition of that space having previously worked in that vicinity.

two contact #s: 929-2203 / 942-2887

you might also want to contact Robert "Bob" Kern of TIPS to inquire about their experience with the space and owners.
< Bob AT TechnicalPublishing.com and/or 933-2629 >

don't know how big the space is or the asking price. that whole strip on Main Street has about 3 or 4 spaces for rent, so you might wanna drive by and take down the other numbers.

let's see -- what would be some feedback?

- beware CH slumlords! don't know if commercial is as bad as residential, but they are historically cheap, lazy and abusive.

- make sure before-hand (by checking with network providers) that the connection of your choice is available at that location.

- parking is always a problem over here. if you don't have a lot of clients visiting your office, then this may not be an issue.

- unfortunately, i see more and more spaces go available every month.

other than that, good luck in the search for your new office and welcome to Chapel Hill and/or Carrboro!
dave m.