internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Panhandlers in Chapel Hill

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Panhandlers in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:56:46 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Paul Jones wrote:
->If you live some place else, you need not sign.

But you still *can* sign, if you live somewhere else and you frequent
Chapel Hill businesses. Part of this proposed amendment is the implicit
"people aren't going downtown because they're afraid of the panhandlers"
or "what's the public perception of our town when the first thing people
see on the 15-501 exit are panhandlers"?

I'm in Chapel Hill every week, sometimes more than once a week. I used to
live there for 8 years or so. I drop a bunch of money at Linda's (probably
more than I should) and Breadmen's and Cosmic. I get more irritated at the
screaming high school car wash kiddies on E Franklin and the
firefighters/leukemia/insert-cause-here people rushing out into 4 lane
traffic to collect money from cars who are at a stoplight. I wonder if
this is passed if those organisations will receive equal scrutiny.

Cheers
KJ

---
"One more drink, and I'll be belligerent!"
-- Isaiah, accepting another drink, Mardi Gras 2003
http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly -=*= kelly <@> unc.edu