internetworkers - [internetworkers] boho resurgence

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (rthigpen)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] boho resurgence
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:02:46 -0500

zman wrote:
> It's a nice idea, BUT, until the real estate industry around here stops
> handing out crack I don't think it'll happen. You would think that some of
> these companies would want to get a fair price instead of letting it sit
> empty. NOT.

Never mind that most of the office space inventory is far from teeming
downtown locations and their residents, where cultural centers tend to
thrive. The geographic confines of a city like SF make for a very
different situation that we have here. I'm sure there are new
opportunities in the Raleigh, Durham and Chappie downtown areas, but it
would seem to me that most of the emptied real estate is probably up in
the Park. Maybe it's just me, but it's hard to imagine a lively arts
scene popping up in the old Nortel space.

Favorite excerpt:
He stores beer for office parties in a server room where a thermostat
keeps the brew, and the computers, cool.

--rt