internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] version control software

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: drew johnston <drew AT mmteach.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] version control software
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:54:18 -0500

Must have been pretty good --

Borland bought it...

Drew
On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 03:44 PM, Joey Carr wrote:

Ick... SourceSafe is a blight. It's worse than Windows, if that's
possible. For Windows environments where CVS just won't do (because your
users are afraid of a command line interface) I'd recommend StarTeam.
See starbase.com. It's proprietary, and I've gotten better support
occasionally, but all in all it's a good deal and very usable for
non-technical personnel. If most of your problem is content management
they've got this thing called "StarDisk" that connects to the StarTeam
server and looks like a network mounted file system. It's very easy for
tech-writers to grasp the whole thing. CVS, on the other hand, is much
better, but suffers from "command lines are hard" inhibitions.

-Joey