internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] version control software

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Russell <scottrus AT ipass.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] version control software
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:01:48 -0500

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 03:33:26PM -0500, drew johnston wrote:
> Hello everyone...
>
> it's been a while since I posted to this list...
>
> Anyway, I'm going to a meeting tomorrow, where some folks are
> interested in version control stuff -- predominately in a document
> library (check in/out documents to prevent overwrites, etc...) type
> app...
>
> It's gotta be compatible with MS office docs, and it has to be able to
> run in a windows server environment...

You could always have a CVS server going. From my understanding there are
cvs servers for NT and WinCVS provides a GUI client for those that want it.
A web site of the CVS repository could also be setup to allow easy access to
the documents and the revisions.

http://www.cvshome.org/

While I haven't set up what you're asking for I have setup CVS to use with
our web site at work. We give the various web developers a CVS account.
Using that they can check out the current site, make changes, and commit
those changes back to the web site. Versioning, logging, permissions, etc
are all handled by CVS.

--
Scott
Do not trifle with me, I have eaten 104 brains.