internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] 'New' Urbanism?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] 'New' Urbanism?
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 15:43:05 -0500

Thomas Beckett wrote:

My point was that faulting mass transit for not being profitable is a fallacy. I-40 does provide benefit, but it doesn't turn a profit either. At least a light rail line would provide some direct offset to its costs. And confer a different type of benefit that the superslab.

As much as I personally would benefit from the proposed Light Rail (I live in the heart of downtown Durham, and work at UNC), they are all hideously uneconomic vanity projects that wouldn't exist were it not for federal matching grants.

For some background info, see:

:Hobart Paper no. 140 Transport Policy: the Myth of Integrated Planning //John Hibbs 2001
http://www.iea.org.uk/files/113.pdf

The Thoreau Institute Urban Growth and Transportation Studies
http://www.ti.org/urban.html

Cato Policy Analysis 287 / ISTEA - A Poisonous Brew For American Cities / Randall O'Toole 1997http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-287.pdf