internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] hot or not: meaningful work

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] hot or not: meaningful work
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 03:43:33 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> The article says "We are sitting
> on a huge potential boom in productivity -- if we could just get the
> square pegs out of the round holes." Well, no, that's just not it.
> Meaning isn't found in MORE STUFF, whether you are buying it, selling
> it, or making it. Productivity is not the right motivator. When will we
> learn the answer is to stop trying to put pegs in holes in the first
> place?

I read the article a few days ago and I came away with the distinct
impression that Bronson was speaking of "productivity" in a more
"meaningful" sense than you give him credit for. Eg: If society were more
productive (in the right areas), we wouldn't have starving homeless
people. As opposed to, if my employees were more productive, I'd be
shipping out N times the product and raking in M times the profit.
'Productivity' is the correct term in either case, but the applications
differ drastically.

As Paula pointed out, quite correctly,

> It all comes down to how you define meaningful.

--Sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)