internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Uzi on the cover of the N&O?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Uzi on the cover of the N&O?
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 10:31:21 -0500

Here's the main article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/2066510p-1984649c.html

And Czeiszperger fears the LA-ization of the Triangle:

http://newsobserver.com/front/story/2066510p-1984654c.html

Snips from the main article:

Disc jockey Uzoma Nwosu's head bobbed to the Finnish music pulsing from his
turntable at the West End Wine Bar in Chapel Hill. He flipped his headphones
down around his neck and smiled as a couple of other DJs leaned in to see the
record jacket for his latest discovery, Jori Hulkkonen's "Let Me Luv U."

<snip/>
Hayes doesn't buy everything Florida says, but does agree with his basic
premise: The country's fortunes depend on people who create things -- whether
it's software, breakthrough drugs, poetry or high-tech music. Members of this
"creative class," as Florida calls it, can live almost anywhere they want, and
metro areas will thrive as long as they can attract them and keep them happy.

<snip/>

In his writing, Florida substitutes "weird" with "authenticity," the kind
found in old neighborhoods such as Raleigh's Boylan Heights or Durham's Ninth
Street. "It comes from the mix," he writes, "from urban grit alongside
renovated buildings, from the commingling of young and old, long-time
neighborhood characters and yuppies, fashion models and 'bag ladies.' "

<snip/>

Serena and Joe Fenton and their three children, for example, settled in
Heritage Hills, a subdivision south of Chapel Hill, when they moved from
Baltimore seven years ago. They're surrounded by woods, owls and deer, but
only minutes from a major university campus.

And