internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] weird light show

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] weird light show
  • Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:46:28 -0500

on Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:31:51PM -0500, Scott Lundgren wrote:

> >Did anyone see the lightshow that occurred through the night on Wednesday
> night/Thursday morning?
> > The sky kept turning a funky color of green...
>
> I thought it might have been cloud-to-cloud lightning but the flash pattern
> was irregular and there was that odd blue/green color. The best explanation
> I could find in the Thursday news was exploding transformers...

Yeah, you'd see a very bright (or not-so-bright, if you weren't in
direct line of sight) blue/bluish-green light, then hear a pop and maybe
a deep THRUM sound, right? Those were exploding transformers. Probably
even more hazardous than the ice itself - those things are filled with
oil laced with PCBs. When they're working, the oil can get very hot,
too. When I was in Syracuse, one blew up on a popular shopping street
and ruined a friend's car.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier