internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ?s about Salary - the importance of home ownership

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ?s about Salary - the importance of home ownership
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:02:06 -0500

On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 07:04 AM, Thomas C. Meggs wrote:

It would seem to me though the only issue you are driving here is the cost of purchasing housing. Realistically, how many people right out of school jump into building equity in a house? And the cost of renting places in SF _has_ gone down, I can assure you that. I didn't say he should live in San Francisco forever, I said I'm sure being right out of school he would enjoy it a lot.

The housing cost is simply the more striking of the cost differences; everything else is much more expensive as well, which especially comes to bear on someone with a starting salary.

The problem I see with the SF area is for some reason its been portrayed as a wonderful place to live, and I can't seem much, if any reasons why it even comes even with other cities. Here's some reasons why:

Cons:
* Some of the worst traffic in the nation.
* Very low public funding to such institutions as libraries and schools.
* Enormous homeless population, often one every twenty feet in downtown at lunchtime.
* High crime rate
* Everything is more expensive
* Smell from the urine and feces on the streets and public parks.

Pros:
* Good food
* Good symphony, opera, etc, although they are so expensive to attend no one on a starting salary can afford them.
* Good music

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC