internetworkers - [internetworkers] Old Houses

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josef Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: "InerNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Old Houses
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:54:12 -0500

I'm getting waaaay off the normal conversation path with this (we'll see if
I can bring it back at the end), but I'm moving into an old house at the end
of December, and I'm going to be doing most of the restoration work myself.
I'll be needing some professional stuff done, like upgrading the power,
running new natural gas lines, restoring the fireplaces, plumbing, HVAC,
etc.., but mostly it'll just be me, a book, and some shiny new tools. :-)

Now, does anyone know of locally-based websites and/or lists that focus on
this sort of project work? Where to get good advice, specialty products,
recommendations, and things like that? I like the fact that good movers and
similar gets batted around on this list, but I'm wondering if it doesn't
bore the non-homeowners to tears. Besides, I'm going to need a LOT of
advice: http://komejo.com/daladams.html

To try and bring it back to something pertinent to this list, I'm wondering
how many folks enjoy this sort of thing, and why? I know for myself, working
on something 'real' on the weekends is a very refreshing change from the
pseudo-reality of the internet. I guess a bigger question is, what do you do
to engage in reality? Or do you?

Thanks,
Joe K