internetworkers - Ethics in polititians (was Re: [internetworkers] Re: InterNetWorkers digest, Vol 1 #88 - 29 msgs)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rachel Cox <rachel AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Ethics in polititians (was Re: [internetworkers] Re: InterNetWorkers digest, Vol 1 #88 - 29 msgs)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:51:10 -0400

At 12:40 PM 10/18/2002 -0400, AlMaur777 AT aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 10/18/2002 12:05:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, internetworkers-request AT lists.ibiblio.org writes:

I think Bowles is unethical

I've become a political agnostic. Compromise, equivocation, and position switching are in the very nature of politics.

And not, in themselves, bad things, in my opinion. I would far rather have politicians in office who can change their minds than ones whose stands are carved in granite from start to finish, regardless of changing circumstance or new information.

And bear in mind that our arguably most ethical, honorable president is also widely regarded as one of the least effective. Possibly *the* least effective in living memory. I believe it was his very ethics and honour that prevented him from being a more effective president; I tend to think a politician is crippled if s/he can't accept a lesser of the available evils. Sometimes there is no thing that can be done which will be "right" for all parties. Indeed, I believe that's often the case.

I'm less concerned, quite frankly, with whether I can point to a candidate and make a blanket statement that "s/he's ethical" than I am with whether s/he's going to vote the same way I would on the issues. But I'm on the pragmatic end of idealism.

Rachel Cox  |  Web Developer  |  919.834.2552 x16  |  hesketh.com/inc
        Image is only the beginning.  Knowledge is profitable.
              http://www.hesketh.com/proof/white_papers/