internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] My Big Summer Film, & spystuff

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] My Big Summer Film, & spystuff
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:16:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Diana Duncan wrote:

> I'd have to agree with the Big Fat Greek Wedding -- although, since I first
> saw it in June, does it count as a summer film? I loved it, though...and
> saw
> it with friends who, knowing my mother comes from a Greek family, were
> wondering if any of it was true. Well...I must say it *reminded* me of my
> Mom's family, but it certainly wasn't "true". It was hilarious, though, I
> nearly fell out of my chair several times.

We found the film funny, sweet, and charming. The Windex thing was just
odd, but quirky enough to be believeable for me.

> I also loved The Bourne Identity (again, possibly more of a spring film?)
> and
> have since been gobbling up the novels of Robert Ludlum. He can't really
> write for shit, but the stories are compelling and great brain candy.
>
> Along those lines, can anyone recommend a writer (other than Tom Clancy)
> that
> writes excellent thrillers? Preferably one with a more consistent
> bullet-deadliness quotient than Ludlum.

Ok, here's a few suggestions.
Adam Hall's Quiller novels. First one, _The Quiller Memorandum_, written
in 1966 and filmed a few years after (not a stunning movie. Ok though).
series fan site
http://www.quiller.net/

Grainger, Bill. The Devereaux stories. Start with the first, _The November
Man_, followed by _Schism_.

Deighton, Len. The Bernard Samson stories, starting with _Berlin Game_.

Le Carre, but I assume you've already been there. :)

For a very "cinematic" (low BDQ in your parlance), there's the Modesty
Blaise stories (first self-titled) by Peter O'Donnell. I prefer the novels
to the long-running newspaper comic strips. Interesting contrast to Ian
Fleming's original James Bond novels.

For a television series, I recommend The Sandbaggers which ran 2 1/2
seasons in Britain 1978-1980. Rarely rerun in the states but the first two
seasons are available on DVD in the States (and I know at least one
store, Foundation's Edge in Raleigh, that has them for rental). Very
bleak, realistic, well-done.

regards,
Steve
--
Steve Burnett burnett AT pobox.com http://www.pobox.com/~burnett/
System Administration Technical Documentation Information Retrieval