internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] My Big Summer Film

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] My Big Summer Film
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:41:44 -0400

A Diumenge 22 Setembre 2002 11:46, Diana Duncan va escriure:
> I'd have to agree with the Big Fat Greek Wedding -- although, since I
> first saw it in June, does it count as a summer film?

Summer starts sometime around June, 23rd, so it might have been in
Summer. Also,if it still at the theaters by summer, technically is a
summer movie.

BTW, the cinema theater was packed for this film, heer at Greenville. We
almost have to fight with a bunch of old ladies, all of us running
trying to get the last seats at the Theater!

> I loved it,
> though...and saw it with friends who, knowing my mother comes from a
> Greek family, were wondering if any of it was true. Well...I must
> say it *reminded* me of my Mom's family, but it certainly wasn't
> "true". It was hilarious, though, I nearly fell out of my chair
> several times.

We too. I loved the "I'm vegetarian" "You eat no meat? No problem. I
cook lamb"

> I also loved The Bourne Identity (again, possibly more of a spring
> film?) and have since been gobbling up the novels of Robert Ludlum.
> He can't really write for shit, but the stories are compelling and
> great brain candy.

Asido from obscure technical books, I've been reading some sociology,
and "Blackadder: The whole damn dinasty (1485-1917)". And, also, some
CJ Cherryh (The Morgaine saga).

> Along those lines, can anyone recommend a writer (other than Tom
> Clancy) that writes excellent thrillers? Preferably one with a more
> consistent bullet-deadliness quotient than Ludlum.

I guess you have already read "Red Storm Rising", by Tom Clancy. Try
Stephen Coontz for techno-thriller. Or Patrick Robertson ("Kilo Class",
"HMS Unseen").

I recommend "The Dope Priest", by Nicholas Blincoe. It's kind of a
homouristic thriller: the life of a dope smuggler, doing his business
at The Holy Land. I found it hilarious.

> Wondering what BDQ is? I quote my favorite crime novel writer,
> Christopher Brookmyre, from his book "One Fine Day in the Middle of
> the Night" -- the character is talking about films, but the principle
> stands:

> "An action film establishes its own rules of gunplay. In some, every
> bullet is potentially lethal -- even the old shot to the shoulder can
> look worryingly close to the upper-chest area. But in others,
> machine guns can seem the least deadly weapon known to man. To
> illustrate, at one end of the spectrum there's your Tarantino movies:
> reputations aside, there's not *that* much gunplay, so when somebody
> lets off a shot, it's for real, and it's usually fatal. High
> bullet-deadliness quotient. At the other end, there's your John Woo
> movies: zillions of rounds goin' off an' the only thing they ever hit
> is glass. Low bullet-deadliness quotient. In a high BDQ film, if
> the baddie draws a bead on somebody, get ready for ketchup. In a low
> BDQ film, that's just a bad day for the janitor. And both types are
> fine by me, as long as the rules are followed consistently."
>
> Cheers!
>
> Diana

Hope this helps.

Salut,