internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] running WIN x apps on XP

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] running WIN x apps on XP
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:37:59 -0400

At 11:24 AM 9/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:
On Wednesday 21 August 2002 12:31, Edward Wesolowski wrote:
> Has anyone had experience running apps on XP that were written for earlier
> versions of Windows? I've got a couple of touchscreen apps that are pretty
> buggy under the current XP and would like to figure a way to run these.
> ...suggestions?
> Thanks
> Ed Wesolowski

Hi Ed,

Maybe the problem lies in the touchscreen drivers. WindowsXP drivers are very
different from previous versions of Windows products. Try to update your
drivers and see what happens.

But... do you really need to uupgrade those computers to WindowsXP? Aside from
being costly in $$$, there's no guarantee that your older applications will
work with WinXP, due to how different WinXP is from Win95/98/Me

Nor is there any guarantee that your printer will work, as my Father found out the hard way. He has a Canon BJC-5000. Canon, in their infinite wisdom, decided to not produce a driver for this model and none of the other windows platforms drivers will work with it. So my Dad now has a very expensive paperweight sitting on his desk.

One can argue that Canon shoud have produced a driver for this printer. But it's also amazing the "Windows" changes so much from one release to the next that the driver architectures have to change and the drivers have to be rewritten each time.

Calvin Powers current events
mailto:calvin AT cspowers.com cultural phenomena
http://www.cspowers.com/ true stories
"The revolution will not be televised." http://www.StuckInTraffic.com/