internetworkers - RE: internetworkers digest: June 20, 2002

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Steve Steele" <Steve AT mindbenderstudios.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: internetworkers digest: June 20, 2002
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 06:43:11 -0400

Can you explain that triangulation thingy you did to determine the
Klez infected sender?

Also below is the contact and server information on the offending adult
site. Unfortunately they are off shore, where your ability to strike
back is even further hampered.

I'm thinking that one of the reasons these entities can keep doing what
they're doing is because most of us lack the time, know how and expertise
to track and nail the perpetrator. When I read articles on how to stop
Spam they are frequently great descriptions of how the Spam works but
the methods for stopping Spam are usually a simple blocking method,
that doens't provide as robust a solution as I would like.

I want to know how to identify the offender, shut-em down, and then
promote how to do so to others.

So here is what I did and maybe your efforts and/or information can build
off of this.

A month ago I was struck by an offending email that linked to an adult
/animal site. My niece and nephews are coming to stay for the summer so
I was determined to figure out how to track one of these offending SOB's
down.

I checked the URL with Network Solution's Whois. No luck
http://www.netsol.com

So I went to domain.com. They seem to have a more comprehensive database
of URLs. Ureka! Pay dirt! http://www.idomains.net

Although the company was offshore, a phone number was listed. I called
a number of times over a couple of days. The phone would pick up but no
one would respond. I thought this phone number is probably the offshore
equivalent to a US 900 number, and they're me chargin $20 a minute to be
on hold.

So I went back to the information I was able to get from Domain.com
and did a Whois search on the hosting server DNS. I was hoping
that the hosting company would shut down the offending web site.

I did get a hold of a body. Who told me that yes the server is a part
of their server farm, but the box is actually owned by another company.
He gave me the contact information, which turned out to be another number
but in the same city/country as the first number I had.

And that's where I stopped. Any add on information? I'd love to take
this topic up off-list. Any knowledgeable persons want to explore on
methods that can trip up Spammers?

Sorry for the long-windedness.....

Steve S.

YOUR CULPRIT----------------------------------------------
Registrant:
ENVIROVISION 2010 Inc. (CYBERNAUTE-DOM)
142 rue Girard
LATERRIERE, QUEBEC G0V1K0
CANADA
Domain Name: CYBERNAUTE.COM
Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Duguay, Sylvain (SD274) sylvain AT DEVICOM.COM
Devicom
393 Racine Est
CHICOUTIMI
QUEBEC
G7H1T2
CA
418-690-2774 (FAX) 418-690-9108
Record expires on 01-Nov-2006.
Record created on 31-Oct-1995.
Database last updated on 21-Jun-2002 05:56:57 EDT.
Domain servers in listed order:
VR3D.CYBERNAUTE.COM 205.236.155.97
JUPITER.DEVICOM.COM 205.236.153.94