internetworkers - Re: Clean Smokestacks

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Clean Smokestacks
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:54:47 -0400

ron, I agree, "only" was something of an exaggeration, but still, we
really shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of
serious air pollution in the Triangle comes from cars, and until we
start exercising our citizen power to demand "smart growth" planning and
energy efficiency gains, the best place to make big gains fast would be
PT. The basic infrastructure is in place, it just needs some $$ and
commitment from local govt.

I do support the Clean Smokestacks bill. Even though NC's power plants
are somewhat of a drop in the bucket when compared to some of the really
nasty plant groups in the Ohio Valley, Midwest, and such (the ones that
are choking the Smokies to death.), I think it would (as you note) give
us at least a little moral ground to stand on, and every little bit of
pollution reduction does help the world, regardless of whether it's
directly helping any given individual.

Everything you said is true re: CAFE, fuel cells, solar tax credits,
etc. Energy efficiency and energy independence I think will be the keys
to a strong economic future for the US. Continued dependence on foreign
oil and fossil fuels and continued pollution are a dead end, literally.
The Clean Smokestacks bill is a small step, but an important one to
begin repositioning NC as a leader for a Sustainable Human-Healthy
Economy of the future.

getting off high horse now.

in other topics, i think people stare at you when you talk on a
cellphone in public because we've been taught throughout our lives that
people who talk to the air are crazy and should be avoided. ;-)

Ron Thigpen

<rthigpen AT nc.rr.c To: InterNetWorkers

om>
<internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
cc:

06/12/02 03:57 PM Subject: [internetworkers]
Re: Clean Smokestacks
Please respond to

InterNetWorkers

i'd have to agree with you that effective, clean PT would be likely to
provide air quality benefits to the triangle. motor vehicles are after
all major polluters.

i'm not sure i agree that it's the only way to improve the air here.

as i understand it, compliance with the smokestacks bill should provide
some benefits locally, around the state, and in the region. it's
reported that these pollutants end up affecting a very wide area. the
problems out in the smokies are largely caused by pollution originating
elsewhere. it would also be easier for NC to claim some high ground in
reduction talks with neighboring states.

i'm also a bit skeptical that PT would yield big improvements in the
immediate timeframe. there are just to many factors that take time:
gov't agreements, investment, buildout, ridership growth, development
around stations, etc. air quality improvements as a result of clean PT
will take time.

given the built nature of the triangle (jobs one place, homes elsewhere)

i would hate to see all of hopes pinned on this solution.

clean air will require action many fronts: energy efficiency (cars and
homes), technology improvements (compact flourescents, fuel cells, clean

diesels), positive and negative incentives (CAFE, gas taxes, solar tax
credits) and, of course, education.

updating our coal-fired power plants would seem to be part of that mix.
everything i've read indicates that this would be a good step in
the right direction, and at reasonable cost.

as you are presumably well informed on this issue, i'm interested in
your opinion. are you in favor of this bill or no, and for what
reasons?

--rt

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
$subst('Email.Unsub')