internetworkers - Re: O T C B B spams

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Newby <gbnewby AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: O T C B B spams
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 20:55:15 -0400

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:16:30AM -0400, Dallas Smith wrote:
> Hello,
> Has anyone found any ways to stop the (OTCBB) spams? I'm getting several
> a day across multiple accounts. They have an unsubscribe option, though you
> have to type in your address, and I don't know what address they're using,
> they keep it hidden, nor do I want to give them any new addresses. I've
> tried sending them to spamcop (http://www.spamcop.com) but you really never
> know if you're making a difference with that. I can filter them out in my
> email, but I just thought there might be some kind of trick to get rid of
> them like there was with the X10 pop-up windows.

I'm cleaning out my spring semester mailbox. Your message
was in my "spam" folder, so I guess I can respond in the
affirmative to this question.

I use Procmail on my Unix system:

.forward contains:
"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail"

.procmailrc contains, among other things,
:0
* ^Subject:.*OTCBB
spam

Which puts anything with OTCBB in the Subject: line in my
spam folder. Don't copy these lines directly, your
path might be different ("which procmail"); read the docs
for procmail and procmailrc first.

(I changed the subject so I'll see responses).

Procmail is your friend.
-- Greg

  • Re: O T C B B spams, Greg Newby, 05/17/2002