internetworkers - RE: internetworkers digest: May 17, 2002

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Steve Steele" <Steve AT mindbenderstudios.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: internetworkers digest: May 17, 2002
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 09:53:15 -0400

Subject: Re: Automated phone dialers-- how to fight back?
From: Bill Vinson <billvinson AT nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 01:32:10 -0400

On Thursday, May 16, 2002, at 10:54 PM, Bill Geschwind wrote:

>> I thought cell phones were off limits to telemarketers? Much like it
>> isn't legal to send unrequested faxes as they both cost the receiving
>> number actual $$$ for materials (cell time or paper). I haven't ever
>> been called on my cellphones...
>>

> That's interesting, since I received two different unsolicited faxes on
> my
> home fax machine during the last several months. I got very annoyed at
> them
> and then simply threw the faxes away. If that happens again, I ought to
> keep
> the fax and follow up on that. I have had that fax machine for about 2
> 1/2
> years now, and these were the only junk faxes I have received to date,
> and
> I'm hoping that this is not an increasing trend. Anybody else been
> getting
> junk faxes lately? I remember that that used to be a bit of a problem
> at the
> company I worked for during the early and mid 90s.
>
> - Bill

Before I moved my office and was assigned a new phone number. I
typically had 3 to 4 junk faxes in the box when I came into the
office Monday mornings. They were usually selling cell phone
service or life insurance, sometimes an occasional cleaning
service.

I didn't realize that there were provisions in place to stop them.

I gave up on cell phones a year ago when my bill was consistently
over $1000 each month. I couldn't find a package for 3000 minutes
of usage that was reasonably priced. Are there any great packages
out there now?

Steve S.
www.mindbenderstudios.com

  • RE: internetworkers digest: May 17, 2002, Steve Steele, 05/18/2002