internetworkers - RE: speaking of telemarketers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: speaking of telemarketers
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 17:08:39 -0400

That's very close to what I was proposing in my original post, with the
exception that I find their number and tell it to them.

To clear things up a bit before everybody here thinks I'm some sort of
cruel and heartless ogre, I **usually** tell telemarketers **politely**
that I am not interested, ask them to put me on their do not call list,
hang up, and get on with my life. There is a distinct difference to
those unfortunate people struggling to eak out a living with an
unpleasant job (they usually just rattle off a script and don't sound
like they are really into what they are doing), and I make it a point
not to be mean to them. However, there are also those shysters who will
argue with you whenever you try to say no (and somehow you find yourself
unable to slam down the receiver on them) and whose pitch is a lot more
practiced and enthusiastic, and who actually seem to enjoy doing that
kind of thing, and it is those guys that I would like to target with the
'is 3:00 am OK with you?' ploy. A lot of companies do respect the 'do
not call list' request, but there are a few that keep calling even
though I request they don't call again (ADT, several phone companies and
several credit card companies). It is the shysters that work for these
for whom I have no sympathy.

- Bill

http://www.oup-usa.org/reference

$subst('Email.Unsub')

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
geschwin AT email.unc.edu To unsubscribe send a blank email to
$subst('Email.Unsub')