internetworkers - RE: Public Education

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Andrew Phillips <aphillips AT buildscape.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Public Education
  • Date: 10 May 2002 17:09:04 -0400

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 16:26, Rachel Cox wrote:
> At 04:02 PM 5/10/2002 -0400, Austin, Roger D. wrote:
> [snip]
> > No, the public schools are not responsible for educating every child. It
> >may be their mission, but not their responsibility. The responsibility
> >resides with the parents to see that their off-spring is educated. The
> >public schools shouldn't bail out the parents from these responsibilities.
> >Of course, this IMHO.
>
> As a practical matter, of course, a lot of parents won't follow through on
> that responsibilty. I don't think that means that their kids should suffer
> the effects of a lousy education.

Speaking from experience, I know that certain area's would be (and are)
filled with uneducated people if we followed this idea.

For example, my mother works as a School Psychologist in the New York
City School system. Daily she works with kids who's parents are (or they
are) Crack addicts, in Jail, have aids, or all of the above....and
they're just in elementary and middle school.

These people can't even get there lives strait let alone there kid. Its
the responsibility of the school system to do its best to teach these
kids, since they really have it the hardest.

I remember a story a while ago about a kid bringing a gun into school,
which isn't all that uncommon in the inner city. My mother asked the kid
why he had the gun, and his response was "Daddy gave it to me, he wanted
me to guard the apartment if the drug dealers came to get there money."
A kid like this isn't going to have his parents teaching him right from
wrong.

Now imagine being a teacher with 30-35 kids like this in your classroom
(thats a small class), would you want to stay in that system for long?
Teachers need to be compensated for there time in my opinion.

-Andrew

Andrew Phillips
Applications Developer
aphillips AT buildscape.com