internetworkers - Re: Public Education

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Robert Weeks" <robert AT designhammer.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Public Education
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 16:40:33 -0400

> So, unless there's more money into education (so teachers get paid better,
> brighter people seriously think into going for teaching and more schools
can
> get better teaching materiel) **and** parenthood is understood (by parents
> and corporations alike) in a way that need more hours with the kids,
things
> will not change.

I think you might be surprised at where our government has decided to put
its money for the last 20 years instead of putting it into our education
system. These are just a couple of supporting URLs that I've come across
lately which I find shocking:

http://www.corpwatch.org/issues/PID.jsp?articleid=862

http://www.bop.gov/ipapg/ipabib.html (scroll down to growth of Federal
Inmate Population)

http://www.bop.gov/fact0598.html#Offense

http://www.futurenet.org/15prisons/miller.htm

What if we had spent the money we have wasted on our failed war on drugs on
education?

Robert