internetworkers - Re: Linux installation suggestions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT speakeasy.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linux installation suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:02:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Bob Kucera wrote:

> You all are funny! Thanks for the good advice. Just got back from
> Intrex (they don't really sell software) and Best Buy (they presently
> don't have Mandrake or Red Hat on their shelf) so have decided to cool
> it for the weekend, plant some plants and patch my front porch brickwork
> which is more in my normal line of activity.

glad to help, Bob. sorry the conversation dissolved into a joke-fest, but we
all
need to blow off steam from time to time. a couple of points, tho:

1. i encourage you to make it out to the trilug installfest. if *anyone*
would
be able to get your machine up and running in a jiffy (while explaining the
basics post haste), it would be those guys. personally, i have never been
successful at my attempts to build a functional dual-boot system, but someone
in
trilug can make this happen for you.

2. please do not touch any poisonous plants while doing your yardwork. it is
spring and everything is in bloom. beware the urushiol oil.

> My conclusion is to purchase (to have manuals, some corp. support, and
> to ante up) first choice for desktop Mandrake8.2; and plan to install
> RH7.2 later on another machine and eventually get into Debian stuff
> which seems like a learning progression.

good plan, tho i think once you get a nice RH or mandrake system up, you
won't
ever have a need or an interest in debian (unless you become an unquenchable
linux maniac like Uzi). the ease of use and reliability for all those linux
distros is simply amazing. 'tis always good to "donate to a worthy cause."

please post more related to your "venturing down the path of OSS" as i
believe
it would be of interest to likeminded list members. a million times or no,
we're
here to help. best of luck with the yard, the bricks, and the software.
dave ;)
m a h t o o z e e a c k a t s p e e k e e z e e d o t n e t