internetworkers - Re: Europe likes eVoting (link)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Europe likes eVoting (link)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:54:27 -0400

Even if UNC had dramatically higher turnout due to online voting, I
seriously doubt that online voting will have much of an impact on voter
turnout in the general public for awhile, at least until the use of and
reliance on computers in the general public becomes as widespread as it
is on UNC's campus. These days you cannot survive at UNC without a
computer, and life at UNC is designed to force you to use a computer for
practically everything, whether you want to or not. In fact, laptop
ownership has been mandatory for incoming freshmen since last year, and
every student has access to an Ethernet connection to the Internet that
even puts T1 to shame and makes not just dial-up, but also DSL and cable
modem look painfully slow, and unlike the general public, UNC students
take high-speed online access for granted and computer use has become
second nature.

- Bill

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:04:31 -0400 "Michael D. Thomas"