internetworkers - Re: instant messaging client for linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: instant messaging client for linux
  • Date: 16 Apr 2002 17:11:46 -0400

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 14:45, Andrew Phillips wrote:

> I'm currently using GAIM as well as the yahoo client and I have no
> problems with it, you just have to make sure you have a decently recent
> version of GAIM to get all the features out of it.

Hmm... so I went back and looked at the messages on the gaim forum
that I previously saw and noticed that the reports of gaim not working
were from India. Apparently, yahoo seems to be testing a new protocol
on the servers in India and *may* end up using it here in the US
sometime soon. So, just be forewarned, it may stop working sometime
soon. (Hopefully, not any time soon.)

> I find it so easy to use GAIM that I hate getting onto a windows
> machine, having 3 AIM accounts (I keep business and personal accounts
> separated), an ICQ account, a yahoo account and yes.. a MSN account.
> Nice to use one program instead of 5.

I definitely agree. Gaim is my messaging client of choice.

Tanner