internetworkers - Re: OTCBB spams

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: OTCBB spams
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:10:00 -0400

on Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:16:30AM -0400, Dallas Smith wrote:
> Has anyone found any ways to stop the (OTCBB) spams? I'm getting several
> a day across multiple accounts. They have an unsubscribe option, though you
> have to type in your address, and I don't know what address they're using,
> they keep it hidden, nor do I want to give them any new addresses.

First thing I did when spam became intolerable was modify my sendmail.cf
to stick a header into the message showing what the envelop sender and
recipient were. Second thing I did was stop trying to "unsubscribe" from
lists I never joined.

> I've tried sending them to spamcop (http://www.spamcop.com) but you
> really never know if you're making a difference with that.

All I ever get from spamcop is false positives.

> I can filter them out in my email, but I just thought there might be
> some kind of trick to get rid of them like there was with the X10
> pop-up windows.

Don't use email? ;)

I just started blocking /all/ korean mail. So far, the spam has dropped
by, I dunno, half? Next step is to start blocking anything with any
indication that its origin was a qwest dialup in LA...