internetworkers - standards

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: AlMaur777 AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: standards
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:44:19 EST

In a message dated 3/21/2002 12:09:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu writes:

agree that standardization has helped create markets. We differ in that I
believe world wide, public standards have done much more to create markets
than the defacto "standards" of a single company.

I agree. As a journalist, I was an early adopter because word processing was a killer ap for those of us in the profession just as spreadsheets and databases were for businesses. But most of the people I know outside of professions that relied on computers early didn't have a home PC until the Internet gave them a reason to have one at home. Even most people who used desktop machines at work seldom had them at home. We played games on consoles such as that Atari I got for xmas 20 years ago, and my first word processors were dedicated  machines, not PCs.

Allan Maurer
Writer
PHONE: 919-667-1733
Cell Phone: 919-491-4524
Published widely in national, regional, and local media: books, magazines, newspapers, online.

Senior Writer: www.localtechwire.com   A new daily online news service covering technology and venture-backed companies in the southeast LocalTechWire.com .

Explore the science fiction world we live in at  SciFiScanner: Science Fiction through time and space - Literature Entertainment

  • standards, AlMaur777, 03/21/2002