internetworkers - Re: Virus

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Virus
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:21:28 -0400

on Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 09:17:49AM -0400, K. Jo Garner wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Steven Champeon wrote:
> ->In the case of favicon.ico, which was a solution looking for a
> ->problem, poorly implemented, required a Windows-only file format.....
>
> [whine deleted]
>
> So in other words, nyah nyah and who cares if it screws up anyone elses'
> servers or traffic?

I had to either provide a platform-specific file that was requested every
time the user opened their bookmarks or added a site to their bookmarks,
modify my server config so that it would send back one file regardless
of where the file was requested, and regardless of whether the site's
designers actually /wanted/ to use the feature to enhance their site's
visibility/custom presentation in IE, or waste a lot of disk space on
recording the errors.

Hey, in my world, that's thoughtless and irresponsible, or at very least
evidence of an incredibly ill-thought-out design. YMMV.