internetworkers - Re: Virus

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Dave Spitz" <dspitz AT windwire.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Virus
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 20:10:06 -0400

I have two points. First, without implying that Microsoft products are
"better" in any sense, one has to admit that due to their prevalence, they
are targeted with much higher frequency. As a result, you can't just assume
that MS products are inherently less secure just because they suffer more
attacks. I grew up with Unix and have there's no shortage of security issues
in that world either.

Second, if you feel injured by product liability, it's your prerogative to
bring the matter to court. Personally, I think this is like suing your home
builder because a thief exploited the weakness of the glass in your windows.
(Sorry about the pun). I mean, you might have a case, but you better be
prepared to be held to the same standards. Security is a tough issue.

Ok, I have a third point. I noticed several posts about people redirecting
dubious requests on to Microsoft. That's bad for two reasons, if it has the
intended effect. One, it clogs the 'Net for everyone, not just Microsoft.
Two, such activity hardly reflects positively on the moral disposition of
people who do it. It's like complaining that you don't like being shot while
deflecting the bullets to some other guy because you don't like him. How is
that better?

Regards,
David