internetworkers - Re: fall reading

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Diane M. Kurilecz" <d.m.kurilecz AT acm.org>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fall reading
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:37:37 -0400

B wrote:
> Hey, speaking of books, has anyone seen/read a *real* science fiction
> novel written within the past year or so that's worth recommending? With
> so many of the old generation of most excellent SF writers dead or no
> longer writing, I've noticed that there are maybe two or three young(er)
> writers producing novels every two or three or <ugh> more years -- not
> nearly enough for my escapist reading habit! I'm not particularly
> interested in fantasy, "real life" stories, pop fiction, blah, blah --
> but I just love a good SF book.

Come on over to the Research Triangle Science Fiction Society (RTSFS)

There's also a group (largely overlapping, but distinct) which is hosting
our second annual convention, Trinoc*coN {http://trinoc-con.org/}, in
October.

In the fiction categories, I read mostly SF and Fantasy, with the occasional
horror or mainstream or off-beat book thrown in.

I tend wait until novels come out in paperback myself, but I always check
out the SF awards for suggestions to place on my wishlist. Saul Jaffe
maintains a wonderful resource over at
http://sflovers.rutgers.edu/Reference/awards.html . Octavia Butler is
coming out with _Parable of the Talents_ in November (the first book in the
series was _Parable of the Sower_); we'll be honoring her at Readercon next
July. _A Deepness in the Sky_ by Vernor Vinge is a prequel to _A Fire Upon
the Deep_. If you like his work, come to Trinoc*coN; he'll be our Guest of
Honor this year. _Darwin's Radio_ by Greg Bear is on my list for Autumn.
Connie Willis' latest book is _Passage_.

***diane

--
Diane M. Kurilecz d.m.kurilecz AT acm.org
Readercon http://readercon.org/