internetworkers - Re: clash of the titans

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: clash of the titans
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:46:50 -0400

Paul Jones wrote:

> kip says if you search under 'big bang' you get porn. i just hit google
> and no porn (but then i'm no expert on the subject ;->)

Y'know, I don't think that was always true. But it certainly is now.
I've run a few searches on some terms such as "girls" and "kittens" (the
latter mentioned in the N&O article) which used to bring up porn pretty
high on most search results, and it seems like most of the search
results now are pretty tame stuff. "Nitro Girls" is a racy as it got on
the first page of one search I ran.

Point is: are the search engines themselves doing some kind of
filtering? Or at least reordering the ranking of things to push porn
further down the list?

TaB

P.S. Laughed out loud at Simon and Paul's exchange just now.