internetworkers - Re: Microsoft Hotmail victim of Code Red worm

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Russell <scottrus AT ipass.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Hotmail victim of Code Red worm
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:00:26 -0400

Paul -

Bit of an exaggeration on the IBM point :) Yup, network connectivity has
sucked for the last few days. The main problem appears to be the
personal workstations that IT did not setup which were running IIS. I
suppose if you make an OS so easy to install that a monkey can do it yet so
hard to secure that it takes a MSCE that is what happens.

As for IBM the servers, none that I know of run IIS but I haven't checked
very closely either. (Lotus Domino and IBM HTTPD are the main stuff we use.)
Of course, having ATT shut down port 80 on portions of their back bone
didn't help matters any either.

I was amused to no end from this news blurb. It's a little sweet justice
that MS gets hit by problems caused by their own code.

-- Scott

--
Scott