internetworkers - Re: Spam (Was: Re: Fwd: Triangle Sports Social Club Kickoff Party/Tournament!)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Spam (Was: Re: Fwd: Triangle Sports Social Club Kickoff Party/Tournament!)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:15:40 -0400

Steven Champeon wrote:
> I'll lart them all the way up to
> their far upstream provider if I don't get action.

"Lart"? New verb?

> The end user solution, according to recent reports from AOL, amounts
> for an estimated 30% of all AOL's email traffic. Even assuming that
> people on AOL only get maybe ten messages a day, we're talking about
> 30 million people. For a total of around 90 million messages to AOL
> users alone.

This is interesting. Since AOL isn't charging by the minute anymore,
this has got to have some significant effect on their resources and
their bottom line. So I wonder if AOL is making an effort to reduce
spam as a function of corporate policy. They certainly have the clout,
talent and money available.

Does anybody know if AOL has an anti-spam research group operating?

TaB