internetworkers - Re: Spam (Was: Re: Fwd: Triangle Sports Social Club Kickoff Party/Tournament!)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Spam (Was: Re: Fwd: Triangle Sports Social Club Kickoff Party/Tournament!)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:28:04 -0400

on Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 04:15:40PM -0400, Thomas Beckett wrote:
> Steven Champeon wrote:
> > I'll lart them all the way up to
> > their far upstream provider if I don't get action.
>
> "Lart"? New verb?

Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool. There used to be a manpage for the
darn thing around here somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.

> > The end user solution, according to recent reports from AOL, amounts
> > for an estimated 30% of all AOL's email traffic. Even assuming that
> > people on AOL only get maybe ten messages a day, we're talking about
> > 30 million people. For a total of around 90 million messages to AOL
> > users alone.
>
> This is interesting. Since AOL isn't charging by the minute anymore,
> this has got to have some significant effect on their resources and
> their bottom line. So I wonder if AOL is making an effort to reduce
> spam as a function of corporate policy. They certainly have the clout,
> talent and money available.
>
> Does anybody know if AOL has an anti-spam research group operating?

I dunno about research, but I do know they are relay testing anyone
who sends them email, to add open relays to blocklists. One of their
abuse desk people is active on SPAM-L, too.