internetworkers - Spam (Was: Re: Fwd: Triangle Sports Social Club Kickoff Party/Tournament!)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Spam (Was: Re: Fwd: Triangle Sports Social Club Kickoff Party/Tournament!)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 01:23:36 -0400

Heather Hesketh wrote:

> At 06:44 PM 7/17/2001 -0400, Thomas Beckett wrote:
> >Danny Lefebre worked for Fusion Ventures. He organized their deck
> >parties. If you were on that list, now you're on the TSSC list.
<...>
> I feel like if you're going to fill my inbox (and potentially many of the
> inboxes on the servers that my company runs), you should at least have the
> decency to prune your list somewhat and/or personalize your email to the
> recipient, so that I don't feel like you might just be the same people
> trying to sell me toner cartridge.

<snip>

But in order to do this, they would have to have accurate information
about everyone on their list. I'd rather filter and delete inappropriate
spam than have World, Inc. know everything about me. My alternative
would be to lie to them, which makes for bad list pruning.... It seems
that most send plain text emails, too, which has to be easier on servers
than half the number would be if it were in HTML....

I much prefer the end-user solution, helped by Subject lines that
accurately reflect the contents -- most spam that I've seen does do
that. Point, click, <Del> just doesn't take all that much time.

Using a valid e-mail alias instead of my "real" email address for any
purpose that could generate spam lets me purge myself from lists
periodically; when the spam gets too heavy, I change the alias. I know
people who do the same thing using yahoo and go addresses.

Since I switched to this scheme, and because I never respond to spam,
the few commercial lists that included my real address have mostly
dropped it -- I get fewer than 10 spams a day at that address, out of
60-100 emails.

--
"B"ing mobile