internetworkers - quality of life

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: quality of life
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:17:13 -0400

Robert Weeks wrote:
> Oh, that PBO ;-)

As opposed to PBR. Which you definitely don't want to chase with a
Red
Bull.

> Speaking of Pittsboro, my wife and I have been thinking of moving out that
> way for the past couple of years. Now with the baby coming

Hey! man, congratulations! That is so terrific.

> Robert - (who has experienced more crime in 4 years of living in Durham than
> I did in 18 years of living in NYC)

That's funny. I've lived in the Triangle for 18 of the last 21 years,
and in Durham for 8 of those (including in the neighborhood mentioned in
the Spectator article, I am pretty sure). The only time I have ever
been a crime victim was when I was living out in the country west of
Carrboro. Some trailer-park rednecks broke into through my bedroom
window (in my absence). Stole my guitars.

Taking a tangent from the quality-of-life discussion, I have been
spending the last few days up in Hendersonville with my folks. I've
heard recently that Asheville has decided to try and develop a
concentration of multimedia development industry out here, and spent
part of today investigating.

The Asheville Chamber of Commmerce and other local economic
development
groups are indeed marketing this area for that purpose. Although the
Internet infrastructure is pretty poor at present, and there are not
many local educational institutions providing the training for folks to
do such work, they feel that they can leverage the excellent quality of
life (and I must say, Asheville is a damned fine city set in a gorgeous
part of the country) and well-established art culture to make this area
more attractive for content development companies to set up shop.

The idea is that they want to diversify the local economic base, bring
in high-paying knowledge-intensive jobs, and avoid the environmental
degredation brought by more manufacturing. While prospects are pretty
poor for setting up the necessary infrastructure for hosting/serving out
here, they really don't need that for just developing content. And they
think they can get enough bandwidth in to support that function
reasonably soon.

Sounds good to me. Shall we organize a wagon train and head west?

TaB