internetworkers - Re: privacy and then some (wed at ncsu and a review of yesterday's show)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: privacy and then some (wed at ncsu and a review of yesterday's show)
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:10:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Thomas Beckett wrote:

+ Eric Reeves is the primary sponsor of the censorware bill you
lambasted
+yesterday, incidentally.
+
+http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/billnumber/billnumber.pl?Session=2001&BillID=s1032
+
+ This surprises me because Reeves is generally one of the most
"liberal"
+members of the NC Legislature. Seems like he could use some education
+on the topic.

Eric claims that his sponsorship is an artifact of the sausage-making
machinery of state gubermint. Reeves was the chair of the committee thru
which the bill passed -- Eric had held the bill last year -- and therefore
is included in the 'introducers' of the bill. but to his shame, he voted
for the bill.
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/html2001/billinfo/votehistory/Senate/rptVHRWithOutPartyVotesPage818.html

the primary sponsor is my own state senator, howard lee, who should also
know better. our other senator from my district, ellie kinnaird, was one
who voted against the measure.

i still encourage all of you to write your nc representative and oppose
the bill. also to write howard lee and tell him what you think. writing
reeves is fine too. he should hear things like tom's note.

Paul Jones
"Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!"
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As MetaLab.unc.edu
pjones AT ibiblio.org voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071