internetworkers - Re: privacy and then some (wed at ncsu and a review of yesterday's show)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: privacy and then some (wed at ncsu and a review of yesterday's show)
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:24:57 -0400

Paul Jones wrote:
> i was at yesterday's cyberlaw.ncsu.edu symposium which was more industry
> education than symposium if truth be known. everyone was hyped on john
> edwards' brief appearance (he had to rush back to dc to vote against the
> tax cut). edwards was introduced by state sen. eric reeves who is heading
> up the nc senate information technology committee/project (i forget which
> it is) who was himself introduced by ncsu chancellor maryanne fox.

> everyone likes privacy and all companies are responsible (you wouldn't
> want the government to be involved would you -- yes if you are edwards who
> is sponsoring a bill against 'spyware' or if you are reeves altho he
> seemed to be saying privacy regulation is a federal level problem not a
> local or state one).

Eric Reeves is the primary sponsor of the censorware bill you
lambasted
yesterday, incidentally.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/billnumber/billnumber.pl?Session=2001&BillID=s1032

This surprises me because Reeves is generally one of the most
"liberal"
members of the NC Legislature. Seems like he could use some education
on the topic.

TaB