internetworkers - Re: crappy web sites

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: crappy web sites
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:29:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Joe Komenda wrote:
->Damn, Kelly -

It's Kelly Jo, actually -

->For self-professed feminist, you spend a lot of time lurking when the guys
->post, only to come out with guns a' blazing whenever a woman sez something
->you disagree with.

I don't think that's true. At all. This happens to be an issue I am
concerned with, and just because I don't squirt out the latest URL about
php or MySQL or open source software doesn't mean I don't disagree with
some things that "the guys" say.

->Would it be politically incorrect of me to suggest that this is one of the
->big problems feminism has had? You're your own worst enemies?

There are many strata of feminism, just as there are many strata of geek.
I doubt a hardcore NT person would really, truly get on with a hardcore
Unix person on the philosophical O/S level. Of course not all feminists
"get along". I don't know your level of knowledge of the feminist movement
and historical perspective, but since you have a penis (I'm assuming -
never know *who's* TG these days), I'm just going to dismiss you anyway.
(Right?)

->Or is it just that moderate woman who really *would* like to change things
->for the better get beat over the head by far-left screeching harpies who
->attack them when they express any interest in things not in total accord
->with your vision of feminism?

Show me the moderate woman who would like to change things and I'll show
you some female Bush II cabinet members/higher ranking officials who got
their foot in the door after decrying all things feminist.

If you read my previous posts, I said I was interested in fashion/fashion
trends. I'm not interested in the bullshit that surrounds objectifying
women in the *name* of fashion. Period. And the quotes that I pulled from
www.shesheme.com are examples of that. Calling me a "far-left harpie"
(screeching, no less) really just proves your subconscious misogyny. (Or
does it?)

It doesn't *take* all kinds, we just *have* all kinds.

FWIW, are you a feminist?

Living in her own special crack house,
Kelly Jo

----
"On the Internet, you're next to every
crack house in the entire world" - S. Jeffreys
http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly || kelly \@/ unc.edu ||