internetworkers - Re: Hey, I'm an uninformed idiot, could you help me out?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hey, I'm an uninformed idiot, could you help me out?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:39:46 -0400

Hi, Drew. I teach ordinary people how to use regular Dreamweaver and
Fireworks to control their own Web presence -- I've discovered that the
initial learning curve for folks who already know how to effectively use
a word processor is slight; it gets much steeper when we get to the more
advanced capabilities if they don't understand coding or scripting.

Internally, we use Dreamweaver UltraDev when we do stuff that
serves/collects database information over the Web -- and we love it. If
you're making a decision, you might check out c|net's builder.com --
http://builder.cnet.com/ -- and read their UltraDev review --
http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/0-7255-8-4719592-1.html?tag=st.bl.7255.dir_rev.7255-8-4719592-1

Of course, you could just download the 30-day UltraDev trial version --
http://www.macromedia.com/software/ultradev/trial/ -- and give it a test
drive.

Another site you might want to see is Projectseven's Dreamweaver section
-- http://www.projectseven.com/dreamweaver/index.htm -- for helpful
tutorials, extensions, etc.

But be warned: It -always- helps if you have a working knowledge of PHP,
Java, Javascript, etc., and you want to do dynamic pages; no HTML editor
(such as Dreamweaver or M$ FrontPlague) always provides error-free code
and (at least) you need to be able to read scripting languages well
enough to catch problems. Even with Dreamweaver, you'll have to provide
a database created elsewhere. (Webmonkey --
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/ -- provides excellent starter
tutorials for almost anything you would want to do on the Web.)

Finally, your favorite search engine can provide lots of pages for your
edification -- if it concerns the Web, it's on the Web! Good luck....

drew wrote:

> >> I'm still a student, and I'm looking at learning Dreamweaver UltraDev for
> >> building web applications (partly because I'm too damn lazy to learn PHP
> >> or
> >> Java) like shopping carts, customer accounts, database stuff, etc.
> >

> > Well, being lazy doesn't help when you want to develop apps. Ever heard
> > of 80 hour weeks? Yeah, that's IT life.
> >

> Ehh, well, let me clarify that--- I'm not exactly lazy, I just get no sleep
> as it is, and all my development is centered around flash production (I'm
> not really IT but more Multimedia) so I'm interested in being able to
> achieve some solutions while staying within the Macromedia product line, for
> a personal project...

"B"ing mobile
I always have more questions
Thank you in advance for your answers