internetworkers - Re: Hey, I'm an uninformed idiot, could you help me out?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hey, I'm an uninformed idiot, could you help me out?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:04:41 -0400

drew wrote:
> Ehh, well, let me clarify that--- I'm not exactly lazy, I just get no sleep
> as it is, and all my development is centered around flash production (I'm
> not really IT but more Multimedia) so I'm interested in being able to
> achieve some solutions while staying within the Macromedia product line, for
> a personal project...

I hope that you have also some experience in programming. Flash is good
when you need it. Is not good as the only web development method.

Macromedia products are good, really good. You can end with a wonderful
personal website.

But (there's always 'but')

I guess you already know about it: if you can do something is does not
mean that you should do it.

Web development is not desktop publishing. All the terrible websites
come from desktop publishers that try to turn a website into a magazine
as they know it. This is the worng approach.

Web development is a way to organize content so it becomes visible using
a browser.

And remember all the people out there in the cold, with no food and a
56K modem... if they're lucky. Also remember the people with text-based
browsers, like the handicaped. The Goverment issued a law to make all
the Government (and Government-providers) web sites "text friendly" so
they can be browsed from text browsers.

And check your resulting web with the webanalyzer from
http://www.w3c.org

Regards,
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve