internetworkers - Re: Judge Says Employer Can Dig Through Employee'sE-mail (article)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: scottrus AT ipass.net
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Judge Says Employer Can Dig Through Employee'sE-mail (article)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:28:43 -0500

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 11:47:34PM -0500, B wrote:
> As far as I can tell, it's much, much worse in large corporations, where
> the majority of people are essentially faceless and neatly pigeonholed
> and where the upper eschelon is well insulated from the "working crass."
> That's one of the reasons why I don't even look at positions in places
> like IBM, AT&T, Nortel, etc. (I must confess, though, that my aversion
> to working for big biz is mostly because I get terribly bored doing the
> same thing all the time.)

I take exactly the opposite view point. In a large company, or a huge one
such as IBM, AT&T, Nortel, etc, it's very easy to get lost in the background
noise of other employees and projects. Do they read my mail? Of course they
do. But I seriously doubt that's any different than the small company who
I'm just as sure does the same thing.

Diversity has never been a problem for me. I've worked support for 6 years in
RTP
and for the last year done Linux system admin work. When ever I was board
with a particular aspect of my job there was always something waiting for me
to jump to. More importantly, because it's a large company, there was always
someone who could back-fill the hole I would leave.

From my perspective it's just way easier to get noticed and watched when
working for a smaller company than a large company.

About email itself, regardless of where you work you just have to assume
that it's read. (Either by key word scans, casual checks, or constant
scans.) If you don't want personal email read at work don't send it. If
you've gotta send it don't use the company network and make sure you encrypt
between your mail client and your ISP. (Even then I still don't trust it all.)

My .02.

-- Scott