internetworkers - Re: Judge Says Employer Can Dig Through Employee'sE-mail (article)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Judge Says Employer Can Dig Through Employee'sE-mail (article)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:47:34 -0500

This is just one of the many invasive employee policies that
corporations are allowed to visit on their workers -- in some cases,
policies so antithical to the US Bill of Rights that our own government
cannot apply them to its own employees. As long as companies get away
with acting like medieval feudal systems they will; as long as people
work for companies that do this sort of thing, the companies will not
only continue, they will become more and more autocratic as they try to
wring everything that they can from their employees and "protect their
assets" to the n^th degree. This trend always gets worse when
unemployment rises, and companies do not back away from their policies
unless forced -- once instituted, a policy tends to become honored
tradition within an amazingly brief time.

As far as I can tell, it's much, much worse in large corporations, where
the majority of people are essentially faceless and neatly pigeonholed
and where the upper eschelon is well insulated from the "working crass."
That's one of the reasons why I don't even look at positions in places
like IBM, AT&T, Nortel, etc. (I must confess, though, that my aversion
to working for big biz is mostly because I get terribly bored doing the
same thing all the time.) Sure, I'll probably never get rich this way
(how many wage slaves end up wealthy?), but I have an interesting,
enlightening, and diverse work life with a paycheck that covers my
expenses and then a little, but without the stress of worrying about
some sneaky-peeky jerk watching me type or listening in on some personal
conversation or being forced to pee in a cup or some such
non-career-related BS. Long live small business!

Understand that I do give full value for my paycheck and do not use
company time for private business, so if any of my employers over the
past 30 years ever did put me under the microscope they came up with
zilch -- and I'd probably never know that they did it. I realize that
not all people are as consciencious. However, I must question the
validity of a culture so out of touch with what's going on in their own
cube farms that they can't judge an employee on merit, instead depending
on humiliating and invasive measures that rarely ever illustrate the
real story....

(Rant, snort....)

--
"B"ing mobile