internetworkers - Re: Judge Says Employer Can Dig Through Employee'sE-mail (article)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lori Laubach" <lorilral AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Judge Says Employer Can Dig Through Employee'sE-mail (article)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:34:12 -0500

Virtually every employer now has a written policy concerning email usage,
(many companies have separate agreements which employees must sign) stating
that email, voicemail and any other communication is Company property and
subject to review or monitoring at any time without notice. Sadly, in my
opinion, some of the hottest new products for corporate networks allow
monitoring of our every move on the computer--keystrokes, websites visited
(and for how long), ability to remotely view what's on our screens, alert
designated parties if certain keywords appear in a message... Obviously,
most companies have no desire or reason to keep employees under
surveillance, but for personal business Roger's advice is dead on--use
private accounts, preferably on personal equipment not used on a corporate
network, for anything you want to keep private. Since my shoe size is not
something I care to share with my boss, I order my shoes from Nordstrom
online from home, thank you very much. ;-)
L3