internetworkers - Re: Judge Says Employer Can Dig Through Employee'sE-mail (article)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Judge Says Employer Can Dig Through Employee'sE-mail (article)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:45:09 -0500

Employee's email (sent through the corporate system) is owned by the
employer as far as I know. The corporation can do what ever it wants
with the messages, including reading them.
Does anyone expect their messages through a corporate email system to
be protected from the corporation? I've always warned people to view
their email messages as public domain unless they do some fancy
encryption. I've also warned people to send sensitive personal email
through personal email accounts rather than the corporation's email
system.
Does anyone have knowledge of legal limits to corporate ownership of
email messages?
Roger (in RTP)