internetworkers - telcom marches on

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: telcom marches on
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:57:29 -0500

Looks like we're getting a new area code very soon. Interestingly,
it'll be an overlay to the 919 area, and only apply to new telephone
accounts. Every phone call will have to include the area code from here
on out.

http://www.newsobserver.com/wednesday/business/Story/406235p-404832c.html

I was in DC when they went to 10-digit-dialing and it was relatively
painless. But there you had these geographic distinctions to know which
area code to use: Maryland - 301, DC - 202, and Virginia - 704. I
guess in this situation the onus will be on the luckless early adopters
to emphasize the new area code when they give out their number. They'll
be in the minority for some time, I imagine.

TaB